Sewing Resolutions

It's 2016 and I must say, I am happy to be here!

I always try not to hop on the resolutions bandwagon, but it's so hard to do with the feeling of the new year, endless possibilities, a whole 365 days stretched out in front of you where anything can happen!

Along with some regular ol' resolutions, I made some sewing resolutions (which are generally easier to keep)

As you know, I have already made a plan to do 52 projects this year.

Now, I'm not going to be very strict about it, I'm counting knitting projects, small projects (I'll probably count them as .25 or .5 depending on how easy they are), and accessories. But by the end of the year let's hope I have an amazing me-made wardrobe!

My sewing resolution last year was to learn how to sew clothes, and I moved almost completely from quilting to garment sewing. That went pretty well, so let's just say I'm a little more ambitious this time around.

Excluding the whole 52 things thing, here they are.

My Sewing Resolutions 2016

1. Make lots of basics

I need functional clothes that I can wear to work, not party dresses and novelty print skirts. Although I love my cotton + steel octopus skirt, I just can't wear it that often. I want to make my own clothes because I am not a fan of fast fashion. I want quality garments that were taken care with, and unless I shell out several hundred bucks for a shirt, I'm going to have to take care of that myself. I'm also pretty loathe to contribute to sweatshops, I'm pretty sure the $5 t-shirt at Old Navy wasn't produced very ethically.

2. Work on Professional Finishes

For christmas, I went the handmade route: dad got a button down shirt, brother got a - you guessed it! - button down shirt. The extra details, although they took longer, were eye-opening. Spending a little extra time with professional seam finishes made a huge difference in the finished product, whereas when I'm sewing for me, I just want a finished product, like RIGHT NOW.

3. Conquer the zipper

I suck at zippers. I want to be good at zippers. The end.

4. Jeans

I want to make my own jeans, because buying jeans is a special kind of torture. I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for poorly fitting jeans. I'm thinking the Giner Jeans from Closet Case Files. Other's have had fabulous results.

5. Outerwear

This is especially true for the near future - my outerwear situation is abysmal. The only coats/jackets I have to my name are a too small North Face, a too large michelin man situation type LL bean coat, and a jean jacket. This situation needs to be remedied.

6. Underwear!

What's outwear without underwear, eh? I don't know if I'm quite brave enough to conquer bras, since it will take some serious time and dedication and this blog is pretty much about quantity, but maybe some underwire-less ones for practice and some panties.

That's all, folks!

This is going to be one wild ride!

No comments