A Surfeit of Mccall's 6044's


This past week was my Dad's birthday. As the man who has everything, it's notoriously difficult to even make him something useful. Thankfully, I have found the button down shirt.

This is the 3rd shirt I've made for him and my fourth total. I get a bit better each time. This is Mccall's 6044. It has a few different options and I really like how it fits. It's also a ton easier than the Colette Negroni, which was my first foray. The 6044 does not have a back yoke unless you're doing the western style.

I made it out of the Robert Kaufman Fineline Twill in Forest Green. I am loving this fabric. It comes in a ton of different colorways, has a nice crisp hand, and isn't too wrinkly. It is a very fine twill, as the name suggests. There is actually a right and wrong side, and I think the collar stand may give me away on that one, so be careful to keep cutting consistent. I have also been informed that one cuff is backwards. Next time.



I flat felled all of the seams but the armholes and the slits on the sleeves. The buttons are mother of pearl from amazon that are left over from a different project.

For Christmas, I made him a flannel version out of kaufman tahoe flannel. It is the Shirt Of Many Buttons. I did not pay attention when making the buttonholes and I didn't realize until I was sewing those suckers on. It was not one of those mistakes that no one notices. He has to leave the bottom one unbuttoned.


The tahoe is very nice and lofty, more brushed than the mammoth flannel. It's quite nice. This is definitely my favorite men's shirt pattern.


 He's looking good for 60, ya'll!



No comments