A Fantastical Mermaid's Tail

My love of fabric, mermaids, and all things sparkly came together when a co-worker asked me to make her daughter a mermaid tail for her birthday.

It just so happens that there are some amazing mermaid sequin fabrics out there right now, and they are fantastic. So many brilliant colors to play with and swoosh around. However, I wouldn't work with sequins unless you paid me, so here we are.

I used the Made for Mermaids Mermaid Tail Pattern and altered it just a little. I used this gorgeous mermaid sequin fabric that is green with glints of blue and purple on one side, and matte charcoal/black on the other. Just gorgeous.


For the lining, I used minky to make it extra soft. The sequins are heavy and scratchy, so it was important to have a cuddly inside. They're also not washable, so that's where the alterations come in.

Instead of attaching the lining and the outside, I used velcro on both, hidden by the minky cuff at the top. It was pretty easy. 

I'm loving the shimmer and shine! 

No comments